Surviving the First Trimester

     Yowza. I never knew just 8 weeks could take so much out of me. I was down for the count for quite a while during the first weeks of this pregnancy.  Having a toddler who didn't quite understand what was happening made those days even harder to bear.

     I am happy to say, however, that there is and always will be an end in sight to the misery of morning sickness. It's hard to tell yourself that when you're hanging your head over the toilet puking your brains out! But the nausea and the overall feeling of  grossness does lift away.

    This time around I found my nausea resistant to most of my go-to remedies that seemed to have worked for me in the past. The vitamin B6 and Unisom concoction proved useless. As did all the prego geared lozenges, pops, and chews.

   There was a brief stint with the prescription drug called Zofran, but that route was quickly stopped after the hubby and I saw the "Did you take Zofran during pregnancy, and did your child have cleft palate or other birth defects?!" commercials on TV.  Talk about fear mongering.

  So I ended up just roughing out the sickness. But I found some other ways to reduce the misery throughout my time stuck in bed!


Kid's Chewable Vitamins

     For some reason, my body just couldn't handle the potent ingredients in a full size prenatal vitamin. My Dr gave me the go ahead to take 2 chewable vitamins at NIGHT to stave off nausea in the morning, while still getting my nutrients. 



     
     I used this stuff last pregnancy and do you remember what happened? ...Nothing! I didn't get one stretch mark. Zilch. Nada. And I truly believe it was because of this product. So you can bet your fanny I will keep slathering this stuff on this second time around too! 


Books to Read





     
     I'm pretty geeky by nature, and Type A by virtue, so being in the know is sort of a requirement for me to feel like I'm somewhat in control. And since I was NOT in control of how I felt physically, I wanted to feel  in control mentally. So I've been reading! Some are oldies that I refer to here and there. And two are new finds that I'm using to navigate new territory in the world of pregnancy, birth, and nursing. 

      I can't tell you all how happy I am to be feeling good again. I hope my insight has helped you! If you're expecting, what are some things you're doing to combat the 1st Trimester Queasies?









0 comments:

Post a Comment